The first member of the Ball family of physicians to join the St. Joseph
Hospital Medical Staff, in 1929, was
C.D. Ball. In those days, it was common for him to fight flooding rivers and brave
the rattle snakes of Gospel Swamps (today called Fountain Valley) to attend
to sick patients. The Ball family came from a long line of American physicians,
traced back to Silas Ball who practiced during the Revolutionary War in
Six of C.D.’s sons and grandsons continued the family tradition
here, the last being Orthopedic Surgeon
Donald Ball, M.D., who retired and became a member emeritus in 2008. Those who served at St.
Joseph Hospital include
C.D., Dexter R., John, John Jr., Dexter T., Robert and
Donald Ball. Their contributions to medicine extend beyond St. Joseph Hospital. C.D.
was the founder of the Orange County Medical Association, and he, along
with Dexter R., John D. Sr. and Dexter T., all eventually served as an