Quality and Patient Safety
St. Joseph Hospital — Focused on Perfect Care
Data that provides objective information about hospitals and healthcare providers is becoming more accessible to the public each year. St. Joseph Hospital is proud to share its quality ratings from reliable, independent sources. We are equally proud of the national recognition we have received for our clinically advanced care, which we provide in a safe and compassionate patient- and family-centered environment.
- In 2012 St. Joseph Hospital's Palliative Care Program received a Citation of Honor from the Circle of Life Award® through the American Hospital Association for integrating the program across all care settings, as well as involving patients and family members in the core process and program design. The hospital credits the success of its Palliative Care Program to it multidisciplinary team approach to care.
- 2012 – St. Joseph Hospital is an IHI Mentor Hospital that provides support, advice, clinical expertise, and tips to hospitals seeking help with the following quality improvement and clinical implementation efforts: Rapid Response Systems and Condition H, Ventilator Associated Pneumonia, and Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infections.
- A 2012 study by Consumer Reports on hospital safety ranked St. Joseph Hospital number one in Orange County and among the top 20 hospitals in California. The study focused on: infections, readmissions, communication, CT scanning, complications and mortality.
- U.S. News & World Report recognized St. Joseph Hospital as one of the top 20 hospitals in Los Angeles/Orange County for 2012, providing high performing clinical excellence in six specialties.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has developed a comprehensive rating system for the quality of cardiac surgery among hospitals across the country. In the current analysis of national data covering January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2011, the cardiac surgery performance at St. Joseph Hospital was found to lie in this highest quality tier, thereby receiving an STS 3-star rating. According to STS data covering this time period, St. Joseph Hospital placed in the top 3.2 percent of hospitals in the United States for aortic valve replacement procedures.
- In 2011 St. Joseph Hospital was named a top performer in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Premier healthcare alliance value-based purchasing (VBP) project that rewards hospitals for delivering high-quality care in six clinical areas: acute myocardial infarction (heart attack); heart failure; pneumonia; surgical care; coronary artery bypass graft and hip/knee.
- In 2011 St. Joseph Hospital was again awarded the California Hospital Assessment and Reporting Taskforce (CHART) Certificate of Excellence. The quality award reflects "Superior" or "Above Average" results across the majority of outcomes and process measures publicly reported by CHART, and no "below average" scores. For more details see calhospitalcompare.org.
- In 2008, 2009 and 2010 St. Joseph Hospital became the only known Orange County hospital to receive a top tier, three-star rating for Adult Cardiac Surgery from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. The comprehensive rating system compares adult cardiac surgery in hospitals across the country and awards one, two or three stars.
- Recognized as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence for 2008 by Lumetra, a premier national organization dedicated to transforming the quality and integrity of healthcare systems across the United States.
- Ranked in the top 10% of hospitals in the U.S. for patient satisfaction by AVATAR International Inc., a leader in healthcare research
Recipient of an "America's Best Hospital" rating in the 2007, 2008 and 2009
U.S. News & World Report
, ranking St. Joseph Hospital in the nation's top 50 hospitals for Orthopedic care, and Best Regional Hospital rating in 2011.
Recognized as one of "America's Top 10 Healing Hospitals" for 2006, 2007 and 2008 by the
Baptist Healing Trust for compassionate, patient-centered care
- 5-year charter member of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) IMPACT national network to improve health care quality and safety
- Active member of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement's 5 Million Lives Campaign, an initiative to protect patients in hospitals nationwide
- One of 278 hospitals nation-wide participating in the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) pilot demonstration project to increase use of evidence-based practices
- Honored with the Annual Quality Award from the St. Joseph Health for the fourth year in a row
- Recipient of the Samuel R. Sherman CME Provider Award for "Linkage Between Performance Improvement and CME," from the Institute for Medical Quality for our excellent care of heart attack patients.
Identified in the 2007 California Report on Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
, released by the California CABG Outcomes Reporting Program (CCORP) as having mortality rates well below state and national averages and the lowest rate in Orange County
- The Orange County EMS (Emergency Medical Services) has designated St. Joseph Hospital as a Cardiac Receiving Center. This designation reflects the significant commitment by our Hospital and Medical Staff to meet extremely stringent clinical and service delivery response times that will ultimately guarantee Cardiac patients the best care possible.
- In a comparison of care at 4,500 U.S. hospitals based on Medicare and federal government data on the new website WhyNotThe Best.org, St. Joseph Hospital is ranked in the top 10 percent of hospitals.
It wouldn't be possible to maintain these consistently high scores and distinctions without the efforts of our doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals. Because of their efforts, we are able to provide the highest levels of care to the community we serve.
Please see also: Awards & Accolades (click here)