Volunteer at St. Joseph Hospital
About Our Volunteer Program
St. Joseph Hospital has an award-winning, dynamic volunteer program comprised
of more than 900 volunteers ranging from ages 16 to 90 years of age and
older. Our dedicated volunteers serve in more than 40 areas of the hospital,
some directly with patients and visitors, and others in support areas.
Departments that utilize volunteers include the Emergency Care Center,
Outpatient Endoscopy, Nursing Units, Radiology, Mammography, Surgery (Pre-Op
and Recovery), Gift Shops and Admitting. There are also clerical support
assignments for our volunteers who would like to help with projects in
an office setting. Many volunteers prefer Messenger Service where they
stay physically active running a variety of patient support errands, including
As we continue to offer the exceptional care at St. Joseph Hospital that
our community has relied on for more than 80 years, private support -
both financial contributions and volunteerism - is critical. Supporting
St. Joseph Hospital presents a compelling opportunity for employees, physicians,
individuals, corporations and community foundations to support care that
has a reputation for quality and innovation - in an environment where
values are embraced.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive each month, we limit
the applicants we accept to those living in Orange County.
The onboarding process may take up to three months - please consider future availability when applying.
If accepted as a volunteer, applicants 18 years of age and older must be
able to provide a United States social security number at the time of
the interview for our required background check.
Volunteers must commit to a
minimum of 100 hours over six consecutive months. We do not offer short term, summer, internship or shadowing volunteer
- Volunteers must be able to commit to a regularly scheduled four-hour shift
once a week.
- Volunteers must be able to abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines,
customer service expectations and St. Joseph Hospital policies.
- Volunteers must have access to an email address. The Volunteer Services
department utilizes email to communicate with volunteers.
If accepted as a volunteer, you will be asked to:
- Attend an orientation at St. Joseph Hospital.
- Participate in an interview.
- Complete a mandatory two-step Tuberculosis (TB) screening. If you have
tested positive for TB in the past, a chest X-ray will be required (hospital
- Consent to a background check for volunteers 18 years of age and older
(hospital provided). If you are under 18 years of age, two letters of
recommendation are required.
- Attend at least eight hours (two to four hours at a time) of initial training.
- Complete annual education on general hospital policies and procedures.
- Complete annual competency validation for specific service descriptions.
Volunteer Dress Code
- We require volunteer uniforms to be worn in almost all areas. Volunteers
must purchase uniforms (prices range from $15- $30).
- Volunteers must follow the Dress Code guidelines.