Share this page:
ADMITTING DESK - MAIN LOBBY: WEEKDAYS (5:30AM MORNING & AFTERNOON)
- Provide assistance to patients, family members and visitors.
- Assist Admitting Staff with visitor inquiries, paperwork and deliveries.
- Escort patients and families to locations within the hospital
AMBASSADOR (PAVILION): WEEKDAY MORNINGS OR 12 noon - 3pm
- Greet patients, visitors and family members
- Assist visitors and family members with general building information needs, checking in Registration, directions to departments & medical suites. Bilingual volunteers are a plus!
- Provide information and support others in their quest to gastric bypass.
- Attend community lecture & Provide testimonials for support groups
- Provide support to patients via telephone or email
- Visit patients in the hospital
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH: DBSA WEEKDAYS
- Provide assistance to Behavioral Health Program with visitor inquiries and paperwork regarding the Depression Bipolar Services Association.
- Provide assistance to patients, family members and visitors with general informational needs & directions
- Answer phone calls made to the program
- Assist with file keeping/miscellaneous paperwork.
- Volunteers are referred to us through the DBSA & must be screened initially by Behavioral Health staff
BLOOD DONOR CENTER: WEEKDAYS
- Provide support to blood donors and Donor Center Staff
- Stock canteen supplies: package cookies and stock refrigerator with drinks
- Escort/assist donors to and from the lobby at RN request
- Serve donors canteen items such as drinks and cookies
- Assist staff with clerical work (e.g. answering telephones, filing, writing thank-you notes, preparing registration packets, and completing projects assigned by Recruiter or Coordinator)
- Slower paced assignment
CANCER CENTER - INFUSION: WEEKDAYS
- Make rounds with chemotherapy patients receiving infusions to see if they need water, blankets, reading materials, or a short visit
- Focus is listening to patients, not talking to them about personal experiences
- Escort and direct incoming patients and physicians
- Assist with office tasks (get supplies from central room, file charts, fax, copy, etc.
- Clean patient chairs (Observing Standard Precautions)
- Fold clean linens and restock exam/treatment rooms.
CANCER CENTER - FRONT DESK: WEEKDAYS
- Assist arriving patients into wheelchairs as needed
- Answer questions and escort as needed to destinations.
CHRONIC DIALYSIS - PEDIATRIC ACTIVITY VOLUNTEER:
- Know age-appropriate play activities and games as well as safety issues related to them
- Knows location of games and crafts
- Demonstrates proper toy cleaning procedure
- Recognize patient's social needs (e.g. play games, talk, etc.)
CLERICAL POSITIONS: WEEKDAYS
- Assist hospital staff with basic clerical duties (filing, data entry, mailings, stocking supplies, etc.)
- Answering telephones and directing caller to appropriate resource if necessary
- Operating various office equipment (FAX machine, paper shredder, computer, copy machine, etc.)
EMERGENCY DEPT GREETER: AFTERNOONS & EVENINGS, 7 DAYS/Week
- Greet patients/visitors/family members in waiting areas
- Provide support to patients and family members by visiting with them
- Provide simple comfort items and coordinate special concerns with ED staff
EMERGENCY DEPT MAIN UNIT: AFTERNOONS & EVENINGS, 7 DAYS/WEEK
PREREQUISITE: Weekly assignment for 2-3 months as ED Greeter or Registration
- Conduct an hourly walk around the department.
- Offer patients/family/visitors comfort items such as blankets, water, etc. (with RN permission)
- Listen carefully to any complaints or concerns that the patients, or his/her family, may have and immediately notify the RN/PCT assigned to that zone
- Clean empty treatment rooms
EMERGENCY DEPT REGISTRATION: AFTERNOONS & EVENINGS, 7 DAYS/WEEK
- Use EMSTAT to locate a patient room and/or the status of a patient.
- Admit visitors to Main ED using door buzzer and escort to room
- Do not give out any information on patient condition
ENDOSCOPY AND PAIN MANAGEMENT: WEEKDAYS (9-1 PM; 2-5PM Wed/Thurs)
- Help with patient preparations in the holding room before procedures
- Provide comfort items for patients (e.g., extra blankets, pillows, neck wraps)
- Discharge patients, help turn around beds, and run patient-related errands.
EUCHARISTIC MINISTER: 7 Days a Week (morning or afternoon)
PRE-REQUISITE: Must already be a Eucharistic Minister.
- Distribute communion to patients, family and staff on assigned unites to those who desire to receive it
- Contact Spiritual Care Department or priest for other spiritual/emotional/religious needs
FAMILY CANCER SURVIVOR NETWORK (IN YOUR SHOES):
- Provide support to patients and family members as a member of the cancer survivor team.
- Co-facilitate the program with the clinical social worker in the cancer center
- Help promote the program, refer survivors and build the program by assisting with training and team building.
- Primary role is one of encouragement and education.
GIFT SHOP: 7 DAYS/WEEK, INCLUDING WEEKDAY EVENINGS
- Assist visitors, patients and employees with their purchases
- Knowledgeable of basic Customer Service skills
- Restock gift items
- Use cash register and credit card processing machines
HEALTH RESOURCE CENTER: 7 DAYS/WEEK
- Assist individuals visiting in the use of the Health Resource Center website, databases and print publications
- Assist with basic questions about internet research, printers, scanners, MS programs
LA AMISTAD: WEEKDAYS
PRE-REQUISITE: Must be fluent in Spanish and English
- Clean exam rooms between patients
- Prepare exam room for next patient
- Restock exam room supplies and linens
- Assist with chart filing/pulling and other clerical tasks
- Telephone patients for follow up or other projects
- Answer clinic telephones
- General Surgery; Medical/Surgical/Gyn; Medical Telemetry; Mother Baby; Orthopedics
- Greet patients, as well as visitors and family members,
- Assist with typical "messenger volunteer" tasks, such as specimens to labs, supplies from central, blood bank runs, etc.
- Discharge patients
- Assist patient with settling into room environment
- Help locate patients for visitors
- Assist unit secretary by answering phones and intercom, maintaining overall cleanliness of nursing stations and patient rooms
- Make rounds to patient rooms to determine any pending patient needs
- Escort ambulatory patients that would like to walk around unit
- Patient Interaction Opportunities: Attend to patients social needs; offer coffee/water to patients and family.
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY - INPATIENT/OUTPATIENT:
To provide support to patients, family members and staff within the established scope of service established for volunteers.
- Assist staff with basic clerical duties (filing, typing/ word processing, mailings, stocking supplies, faxing etc.)
- Assist in discharge patient paperwork/chart tear down
- Assist department staff in patient therapy sessions
MESSENGER SERVICE: WEEKDAYS (8 AM - 3:30 PM)
- Physically active position (walk 4-7 miles per 4-hour shift)
- Work with a team of volunteers
- Varied patient-related errands including patient discharges, deliveries to the lab, and deliveries from the pharmacy and medical records
PRE-REQUISITE: Must attend 8-week training before making home visits.
- Peer counselors for seniors in community
PHYSICAL THERAPY - INPATIENT/OUTPATIENT:
- Assist staff with basic clerical duties - filing, typing/ word processing, mailings, stocking supplies, faxing, discharge paperwork/chart tear down, etc.
- Assist department staff in patient therapy sessions.
PUENTE A LA SALUD: WEEKDAYS
PRE-REQUISITE: Must be fluent in Spanish and English
- Answer phone, assist with patient registration check in and check out process
- Create new charts daily for new patients on mobile health clinic
RECEPTION - PAVILION SURGERY CENTER: WEEKDAYS
- Greet patients, as well as visitors and family members, as they arrive
- Assist patient with signing in process
- Escort patients and family members
- Collect or initiate health history
- Issue beeper for contact throughout stay in our center
- Bring patients back to pre-op as the unit directs
SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE: WEEKDAYS
- Provide support by visiting with patients in their hospital rooms and listening carefully to any complaints or concerns that the patient, or his/her family, may have and immediately notifying a Service Representative of those concerns.
- Excellent opportunity to experience working with a diverse group of patients, and their families, who are being treated for widely varying health problem
- Assist hospital staff with basic clerical duties (filing, typing/ word processing, mailings, stocking supplies, etc.)
- Assist department staff in patient therapy sessions
- Assist Instrument Tech with decontamination process
SUPPORT TEAM/GIFT SHOP: Monday mornings.
- Price all stock for both gift shops
SURGERY PREP (SPU)-INPATIENT: WEEKDAYS
(Ideally 6 AM - 10 AM but volunteers can start as late as 10 AM.)
- Assist with labeling patient charts
- Deliver specimens to the lab
- Assist family members by directing them to surgical waiting room
SURGERY RECOVERY (PACU) -- OUTPATIENT: WEEKDAYS (UNTIL 7:00 PM)
- Make rounds in patient treatment area to determine any pending patient needs.
- Escort/ transfer patients to and from PACU.
- Wipe down and make up gurneys (bedding, pillow cases, etc.) observing Standard Precautions
TEEN COORDINATORS: WEEKDAYS 3:30PM - 7PM; WEEKEND MORNING & AFTERNOON
Required: ability to establish rapport with teenagers while providing adult supervision
- Act as a mentor to Junior Volunteers on Messenger Service
- Run messenger errands with Junior Volunteers or as needed
As we continue to offer the standard-setting care at St. Joseph Hospital that Orange County residents have relied upon for more than 70 years, private support - both financial contributions and volunteerism - is critical. Supporting St. Joseph Hospital presents a compelling opportunity for employees, physicians, individuals, corporations and community foundations to support care that has a reputation for quality and innovation - in an environment where values are embraced.
The first step in becoming a St. Joseph Hospital volunteer is to attend our required orientation, which is held monthly except for December. Orientations alternate between weekday mornings, weekday evenings and Saturday mornings.
Whether your interest is to give back to your community or to explore health careers as a volunteer, St. Joseph Hospital has a place for you! Our volunteers are a vital part of our mission of healing and are an essential extension of our values to the community we serve.