It's not high blood sugar, heart disease, or stroke that most often puts people with diabetes in the hospital. It's their feet.
Older adults need about the same amount of sleep as younger adults: seven to nine hours per night, on average.
You clear your throat because your larynx -- that upper part of the respiratory tract that contains the vocal cords -- becomes irritated.
Doctors often consider chronically low blood pressure too low only if it drops suddenly or causes noticeable symptoms.
The pituitary gland is one of the body’s endocrine glands. It is sometimes called the “master gland,” because it controls the functions of other endocrine glands.
Meditation allows you to become more awake and more deliberate about your actions. It teaches you how to respond rather than react to situations in your life.
The experts say most of us can have whiter teeth. What's more, many of us can do it ourselves with an over-the-counter (OTC) tooth-whitening product.
The skin is your body's largest organ. It protects you against bacteria, viruses, dirt, wind, heat and cold. And it serves as a "window" to the body, alerting doctors when something is wrong.
The average adult has 10 to 12 gallons of water in his or her body, accounting for 60 percent of body weight. That water plays a critical role in nearly every bodily process. And being a quart or two low can affect how you feel.
In 1616, when William Harvey announced that the heart propels blood and that blood circulates throughout the body, his findings were revolutionary.
What causes thyroid disorders, and why do they strike women five to eight times more often than men? The answers aren't clear.
It's called plastic surgery, but there's no plastic involved. In this case, "plastic" refers to the ability of the surgeon to reshape the skin, the face, or other body parts. With advances in technique and an aging population, plastic surgery is more popular than ever.
The gallbladder is a four-inch, olive-shaped muscular sac that lies under the liver in the right side of the abdomen.
Your sense of taste is brought to you by more than 10,000 little taste buds on your tongue that turn eating into a pleasurable experience.
The thyroid gland controls how fast your heart beats, how quickly you digest food, how much you sweat, the speed at which you burn calories, and many other activities.
Most neck pain is caused by sleeping on a bed that’s too soft, poor posture, stress, neck strains or degenerative joint disease that occurs when the joints of the neck become inflamed or a disc pushes outward from its normal position.
Often these teeth are troublemakers that decide to turn crooked, refuse to grow in completely, or become misshapen.
It's important to note that it's not just how much extra body fat a person has, but where it is stored on the body that determines how risky the extra pounds are.
Achoo! Did you know that a sneeze is one of the body's natural defenses? It helps get rid of foreign invaders that sneak into your nose and threaten your lungs and other body parts.
Fat cells store excess energy in the body. People who tend to become overweight aren't very good at burning up calories; instead they store them as fat.
Did you know that at least 40 medical problems can be detected when your doctor examines your fingernails? Their color, shape and condition can tell your doctor a lot about your health.
When your doctor presses on your abdomen, he or she is feeling to see if any major internal organs are enlarged or tender, making them painful to touch, which could indicate disease.
You probably don't enjoy giving a blood sample, but it's an important part of a physical exam. From a small sample of your blood, your health care provider can order scores of tests.
Your doctor's stethoscope is a simple device that gives him or her crucial information about your heart.
About 80 percent of the water you take in comes from the water and other beverages you drink; the remaining 20 percent comes from food.
A good night’s sleep is as important to your health as eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise. As we age, however, it can become more difficult to get deep sleep.
Your immune system carries on daily battles with invaders without your knowledge.