For individuals who do not require 24-hour treatment, the St. Joseph Hospital Outpatient Behavioral Health Department offers outpatient services.
The structure for these programs includes:
- Partial Hospital Program(PHP) offering treatment for individuals with a psychiatry or co-occurring psychiatric and chemical dependence problem on an outpatient basis. Individuals in this program attend Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Intensive Outpatient Program(IOP) offers treatment for individuals who do not require the intensive treatment offered in the Inpatient or Partial Hospital Program. This program provides treatment for the same psychiatric or co-occurring treatment needs as the more intensive Inpatient and Partial Hospital programs in a three-hour per day structure. This is typically a step-down program from Inpatient or Partial Hospital treatment.
Specialty Tracks of Outpatient Services
In addition to generally psychiatric and co-occurring treatment programs, specialty tracks are also offered as Outpatient Services.
These specialty tracks include education and treatment focused on the specific needs of individuals in the following areas:
Basic Requirements for Admission
Patients who are experiencing intense mood swings, decreased concentration, increased stress or anxiety and other psychiatric symptoms significant enough to interfere with major role obligations such as work, school, caring for family, etc., but do not require 24-hour care may be directly admitted to the program after a brief face-to-face assessment interview. They may also be admitted as a step down in care following treatment in the inpatient unit. Patients who may require restraints or seclusion, or who are non-compliant with treatment, are not appropriate for the partial program.
Other basic requirements for the program include:
- Diagnosis with a major mental illness and the patient is willing to participate in active treatment
- 18 years of age or older
- Medically able to participate in treatment
- Willingness to be admitted voluntarily by an attending psychiatrist
For details about an ongoing support group for adults following hospitalization in St. Joseph Behavioral Health, please click here.