For individuals who do not require 24-hour treatment, the St. Joseph Hospital Outpatient Behavioral Health Department offers outpatient services.
The structure for these programs includes:
- Partial Hospital Program(PHP) offering treatment for individuals with a psychiatry or co-occurring psychiatric and chemical dependence problem on an outpatient basis. Individuals in this program attend Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Intensive Outpatient Program(IOP) offers treatment for individuals who do not require the intensive treatment offered in the Inpatient or Partial Hospital Program. This program provides treatment for the same psychiatric or co-occurring treatment needs as the more intensive Inpatient and Partial Hospital programs in a three-hour per day structure. This is typically a step-down program from Inpatient or Partial Hospital treatment.
Specialty Tracks of Outpatient Services
In addition to generally psychiatric and co-occurring treatment programs, specialty tracks are also offered as Outpatient Services.
These specialty tracks include education and treatment focused on the specific needs of individuals in the following areas:
- Bipolar Disorder
- Psychosocial Intervention for Medical Issues
- Co-occurring (Dual Diagnosis) Psychiatric with Chemical Dependence
- Postpartum Depression (“New Mothers with Maternal Depression Program”)
Basic Requirements for Admission
If inpatient hospitalization is not clinically necessary, patients may be directly admitted to the program. They may also be admitted after a short stay in the inpatient unit. Patients who may require restraints or seclusion or who are non-compliant with treatment are not appropriate for the partial program.
Other basic requirements for the program include:
- Diagnosed with a major mental illness and the patient is willing to participating in active treatment
- 18 years of age or older (17 or older for the Eating Disorders Program)
- Medically able to participate in treatment
- Willingness to be admitted voluntarily by an attending psychiatrist
For details about an ongoing support group for adults following hospitalization in St. Joseph Behavioral Health, please click here.