St. Joseph Hospital’s Heart and Vascular Center has gained national attention for achieving outstanding clinical outcomes and for providing superior clinical and operational expertise:
2009 – The Society of Thoracic Surgeons rates St. Joseph Hospital in the nation’s top 12 percent for Adult Cardiac Surgery. This top-tier, three-star rating (earned for the third consecutive year) reflects outstanding outcomes in key areas such as:
- Mortality rates
- Adherence to evidence-based practices
- 2008 – “Get With the Guidelines” Bronze Performance Award recipient for promoting evidence-based treatment for patients with coronary artery disease, heart failure and stroke.
- 2007 – St. Joseph Hospital opens the first Adult Congenital Heart Disease program, St. Joseph Hospital is the only hospital in Orange, Riverside, San Diego, Imperial and San Bernardino Counties to possess the unique expertise required to support these patients.
- 2007 – The Society of Thoracic Surgeons recognizes the St. Joseph Hospital Open Heart Surgery Program as a best practice.
- 2007 - Renee Mazeroll, R.N., M.S.N., executive director of Cardiac and Vascular Services, was named the recipient of the GE Healthcare Award for Excellence.
- 2006 - St. Joseph Hospital Cardiac and Vascular Services was awarded a grant from Edwards Lifesciences to provide free cardiac screenings to seniors on fixed incomes, underserved populations and individuals with low incomes.
- 2004 - St. Joseph Hospital opens the St. Joseph Hospital Vascular Institute, which has grown to become the second busiest research site in California and received ‘best practice” status from the Cardiovascular Advisory Board.
- 2003 - St. Joseph Hospital opens Orange County’s first Women’s Heart Center, which was formally recognized by First Lady Laura Bush during a White House reception in 2004 and went on to receive “best practice” by both the Cardiovascular Advisory Board and SG2.
- 2003 - St. Joseph Hospital performs the first drug-eluting stent procedure in Orange
- 2003 - St. Joseph Hospital performs the first digital pacemaker implant in Orange
- 2003 - First aqueous oxygen procedure for acute heart attack in Orange County
- 1995 - First intra-coronary stent procedure in Orange County
- 1980 - First outpatient angioplasty in Orange County
- 1966 - First cardiac care unit in Orange County
- 1963 - First pacemaker procedure on the West Coast
- 1961 - First open-heart surgery in Orange County