Phases of Care
St. Joseph Hospital provides compassionate patient and family-centered care. Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is individualized for each patient. We encourage family communication and participation in risk factor modification.
St. Joseph Hospital’s Cardiac Rehab Program is organized into three different phases:
- Phase I occurs in the hospital while patients are recovering from the cardiac event. Our cardiac rehabilitation staff discusses resumption of daily activities and mild exercises patients can do as an inpatient as well as exercises patients can do at home from the time of discharge to beginning the exercise program in the outpatient setting.
- Phase II is the outpatient program consisting of monitored exercise and education. Phase II requires a physician referral and is covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. We begin with a personalized orientation that includes developing goals for risk factor management and the development of an individualized exercise program. The outpatient program utilizes telemetry equipment to monitor heart rate, heart rhythm and blood pressure during exercise and recovery. Your exercise plan may include work on the treadmill, stationary recumbent bicycle (Nustep), weights, and upper body exercises to increase strength and flexibility. This is offered 3 days a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Phase III is our Fit for Life or maintenance program that patients can transition into when they have met their fitness goals and Phase II has been completed. Fit for Life is a program that continues supervised exercise by our highly trained staff. It involves less heart monitoring but continues to track blood pressure trends and heart rates. Many patients find the camaraderie of working out with people with similar health conditions helpful. And, our patients and staff make this a very fun way to keep fit. Phase III is usually not covered by insurance, but the cost is very reasonable.
Cardiac Rehabilitation hours of operation
- Phase II - Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Phase III - Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All classes start on the hour and last approx. 50 min with a 10-minute cool down period.