Your First Visit
Here's what you can expect during your first visit:
- You will fill out paperwork i.e., review of systems, medical release forms, etc.
- A radiation oncology nurse will meet with you to obtain and review your
medical history, including any medications, vitamins and supplements you
are taking before you see the physician.
- Then, you will meet the radiation oncologist who will determine if radiation
therapy is right for you based on your type of cancer and stage/extent
of disease, as well as your symptoms and overall general health.
- Your radiation oncologist may feel additional test are necessary before
your final treatment plan can be developed.
- Your radiation oncologist will explain the recommended radiation therapy,
including the length of treatment and possible side effects.
- You will be given an opportunity to discuss your treatment plan and ask
- Once you understand and agree to a course of treatment, you will be asked
to sign a consent form.
- A radiation therapist will schedule a subsequent appointment for CT simulation
(radiation planning session). The radiation therapist or radiation oncology
nurse will advise you of any preparation needed for you CT simulation
- The CT simulation appointment is usually scheduled within a few days to
week after your first visit.