As one of the busiest surgical center in the state of California, St. Joseph Hospital's robotics and minimally invasive treatment program has a rich history of delivering the most advanced medical care in an environment that has earned national recognition for quality and patient safety.
Our highly skilled surgical team has acquired a level of expertise in using minimally invasive technology that has made local and national headlines:
- 2012 - St. Joseph Hospital orthopedic surgeon Ayaz Biviji, M.D., performs Orange County's first MAKOplasty total hip replacement using the RIO® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System from MAKO Surgical Corp.
- 2012 - Sami Hamamji, M.D., performs the first single-incision cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) in Orange County using the da Vinci Surgical System.
- 2012 - The Robotics and Minimally Invasive Program surpasses 1,500 multidisciplinary robotic procedures and is ranked in the top 5 percent nationally for robotic programs.
- 2010 - The Urologic Oncology Program marks its 500th robotically assisted surgical case.
- 2010 - St. Joseph Hospital opens one of the nation's first Hybrid Operating Rooms for the treatment of heart and vascular disorders in adults and children. As of 2012, doctors have treated more than 750 patients with this new technology.
- 2008 - St. Joseph Hospital opens the new Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment featuring Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT), which allows radiation oncologists to deliver a beam of radiation directly to the tumor site during breast cancer surgery to remove the tumor. This allows doctors to shied healthy tissue and organs while directly targeting the tumor site.
- 2007 - St. Joseph Hospital opens the new Patient Care Center featuring "Smart" operating rooms (ORs). The ORs feature voice activated technology; sophisticated video and audio capabilities and high-definiton image-guided surgical navigation systems.
- 2005 - St. Joseph Hospital surgeons perform the first robotically assisted bladder cancer procedure in Orange County. Only 11 other hospitals in the world have attempted such a complex surgery.
- 2005 - Mustafa Kabeer, M.D., and Vinh Lam, M.D., perform the first pediatric lung resection in the country.
- 2004 - St. Joseph Hospital surgeons perform the county’s first robotically assisted open heart procedure.
- 2003 - Ashok Kar, M.D., and Feraidoun Khonsari, M.D., perform the first robotically assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. This was the first time such a procedure was successfully performed in a community hospital in Southern California.
- 2003 - St. Joseph Hospital surgeons Marc Zepeda, M.D., and Randy Fiorentino, M.D., make national news when they perform the first robotically assisted hysterectomy in the United States.
- 2003 - St. Joseph Hospital is the first community hospital to obtain da Vinci robotic technology. The $1 million robot was funded entirely through philanthropic support.