A medical physicist is a member of the radiation oncology team who is responsible
for assuring the safe and effective delivery of radiation that will achieve
the result prescribed by your radiation oncologist for your care.
These responsibilities include:
- Protection of the patient and others from potentially harmful or excessive radiation
- Establishment of adequate protocols to ensure accurate patient dose delivery
- Measurement and characterization of radiation
- Determination of the delivered dose
- Development and direction of quality assurance programs
- Assistance of other healthcare professionals in optimizing the balance
between the beneficial and negative effects of radiation.
All the physicists at St. Joseph Hospital are certified by the American
Board of Radiology (ABR).