The Center for Pelvic Health

What is a Urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist is a physician with specialized training in conditions that affect the female pelvic floor. Urogynecologists are obstetricians/gynecologists or urologists who have completed a two or three-year fellowship program that provides in-depth training in both non-surgical and surgical management of non-cancerous conditions that affect the female pelvic organs. This includes evaluation of the muscles, connective tissues and structures that are necessary for normal bladder, vaginal and bowel function. Some of the common conditions that urogynecologists treat include: urinary leakage (incontinence), pelvic organ prolapse (dropping of the uterus, bladder or rectum – also known as cystocele or rectocele), overactive bladder, recurrent urinary tract infections, vaginal atrophy (thinning of the vaginal skin which is common after menopause), accidental bowel leakage, urinary retention and maternal complications of child birth.

Click here for information about scheduling an appointment with one of our urogynecologists.